The Woodall Silver Salver

A salver of circular form having a Bath edge, and standing on three clawed feet being inscribed, “Borough of Richmond 1668-1974. Presented by Councillor Fred Woodall”, and giving details of members and officers of the Council.

Made in Birmingham in 1974 by Bishopton Limited.

This presentation was made to commemorate the end of the Richmond Borough Council under the Local Government Act 1974. Its successors are the Richmondshire District Council and the Town Council. Councillor Woodall was Mayor of Richmond three times, 1955, 1962 and 1978. He arrived in Richmond in 1920 when he enlisted as a Bandsman in the Green Howard’s. He served with the 2nd Battalion until 1930, but was recalled to the Colours in 1939. Along with his fellow bandsmen he acted as stretcher-bearer in France returning to England after being rescued from Dunkirk.

He had a great influence on brass band music in the area forming and conducting the Richmond British Legion Boys Band, which later became The Richmond Silver Band, and conducting the Muker Silver Band. His links with the military continued when he was appointed bandmaster of the Royal Corp of Signals T.A. Band based at Middlesbrough. He was elected to the Council in 1945, a good public servant he had a love of the town and the people he served. Councillor Woodall lived respected and died regretted on 18th October 1978 whilst serving as Mayor of the town.

© Copyright of Alan M.Wilcox Richmond Town Clerk 1985-1997.