The Great Mace.

Silver gilt of 55 inches in length. Made in London in 1700 by F. Garthorne. This mace was presented to the Borough of Richmond by the then two sitting Members of Parliament for the Borough, the Hon. Henry Mordaunt and Thomas Yorke Esq..

On the large projecting knob at the bottom of the handle is engraved, "The gift of Hon. Henry Mordaunt and Thomas Yorke Esq., the Representatives in Parliament for the Corporation of Richmond. Anno Domini 1714". On the head are depicted the common seal, the Mordaunt arms argent, a chevron between three ostioles sable, crest, in an Earls coronet, the bust of a Moor, couped at the shoulders, habited in cloth of gold, all proper, wreathed about the temples argent, a saltire, azure, crest, a monkey's head, erased proper, with a rose between each of the arms. Around it are several figures and devices embossed, as four females, with hair turned back, fastened by a studded comb, instead of two arms, two pieces of foliage springing from the shoulders, and the body couped in the middle, the lower parts terminating in seaweed. Between the females are a portcullis with two chains ending in rings, the Badge of Henry VII and Henry VIII, a rose and thistle springing from the same branch, a fleur de lis, and a harp, all under crowns, and each between G.R.. At the top of all the Crown of England.

At some time in 1940/50's one of the supporting pieces, a scrolled bracket below the head of the mace, was detached from the handle. This was given a very poor repair, presumably by a Borough worker on the instruction of his employers, common plumbers solder was used on this beautiful mace. The town council the successors of the old Borough had the good sense to have the mace properly repaired and restored by a competent Goldsmith in the late 1990's. This mace is borne by the Senior Sergeant at Mace before the Mayor on all civic occasions, it being carried on the right shoulder and at a slope. When the mace is attendant at a march past of military units or a Remembrance Day parade, the Senior Sergeant at Mace will "Present" the Great Mace to the Colours or Standards as they pass before the Mayor, this being a mark of civic respect.

The Restoration Mace.

Silver gilt of 14 inches and a weight of 25.5 ozs. Made in York in 1650 by James Plummer.

Round the top of the mace are embossed, a rose and crown, the crest or the arms of the town of Richmond, a harp, and St. Georges cross, each between the figure of a man with his arms across his breast, a bushy beard and hair, couped at the middle, the lower part has a head in the centre with festoons about it, terminating in fruit and foliage. The top rim is crowned and studded with roses. On the lid are the arms of France, England, Scotland and Ireland quartered in one shield; above it "C.II.R 1660", round it "Robert Wilson, Alderman, in that happt year of His Majesty's Restoration"; at the bottom of the handle is a spreading rose.

This mace is borne by the Junior Sergeant at Mace before the Mayor on all civic occasions, it being carried on the left shoulder and at a slope. Unlike the Great Mace this mace is never "Presented". The Town Council had the mace extensively repaired, restored and re-guilded in the 1980's at The Goldsmiths Hall, London.

The Mayor's Mace.

Silver of 14.5 inches in length and of a weight of 14ozs. There are no hallmarks or maker's marks. At the bottom of the handle the cup and crown are broken off. On the top are the arms of France and England quartered, with "CHARLES II REX" over them; this is a late insert. This mace is probably the first mace ever borne by a Chief Magistrate of Richmond

This mace is much nearer the design of the old fighting mace having at the bottom of the handle three ornamental flanges. It is fortunate that this important piece of pre-Civil war silver has survived. Most civic plate of that era was melted down by both sides to pay for their armies. Legend has it that the mace was "hidden in plain sight" by using it as a sugar crusher. At that time sugar was not refined, but came in large blocks, which had to be broken up before use. Could be the cause of the damage to the lower part of the mace?. As far as can be ascertained the Mayor of Richmond is the only Mayor in Britain to carry his own mace as a symbol of his Civic authority.

The Mayor's Chain.

Purchased by Public Subscription at a cost of 250 and made by W. Robinson, Jeweller of Richmond in 1872 during the Mayorality of Thomas Thomson.

The great part of the chain is of 18 carat gold but the wreaths and guilds are enamelled on solid 22 carat gold. The chain comprises of a facsimile of the ancient common seal of the Corporation of Richmond in the centre, 13 enamelled shields, equi-distant, representing the arms of the ancient guilds of the town arranged in order thus,

The Mercers, Grocers and Haberdashers Company, The Drapers, Vintners and Surgeons Company, The Blacksmiths Company, The Skinners Company, The Cappers Company, The Fullers and Dyers Company, The Tanners Company, The Masons, Wallers and Lime Burners Company, The Carpenters and Joiners Company, The Saddlers, Bridlers, Glaziers, Coopers, Bakers, Hosiers and Painters Company, The Cordwainers and Curriers Company, The Tailors Company, The Butchers Company.

These are separated by embossed enamelled devices of the white roses of the Plantagenets of the House of York, surrounded by the rays of the sun, and with the red and white roses of the House of York and Lancaster combined.

The badge or jewel represents the arms of the town granted to the Corporation on 21st August in the 5th year of the reign of Charles II. A.D. 1665. The whole being encircled by a continuous wreaths of white roses, the cognizance of the House of York.

The Mayoress Chain.

The chain and badge or jewel are of 18 carat gold. The badge or jewel was presented to the then Mayoress, Mrs T.H. Singleton by the President and members of the North Yorkshire and South Durham Cyclists Meet in 1922. The badge or jewel is smaller but exact replica of the badge on the Mayoral chain and was worn on a blue ribbon. In 1929 Alderman George R. Wade J.P. on the occasion of the 600th Anniversary of the granting of the first Royal Charter to the Borough, had a 18 carat gold chain fitted to the badge.

We are deeply grateful to the late Alan M. Wilcox, Richmond Town Clerk 1985-1997, for all the information regarding the town silver. Click on the links below for more information on the Civic plate that can be viewed at the Green Howards Regimental Museum, Richmond.