The Silver Vase

A vase of slightly tapering form and the lip everted. The body being plain at the top, the remainder decorated with fluting and having a stepped foot, being engraved below the rim, “Presented to Alderman W. Robinson OBE JP by members of Richmond Borough Council in appreciation of his 20 years devoted service including the Mayoralty 1938-1945”.

Made in London in 1893 by Carrington & Co.

Alderman “Billy” Robinson in addition to his office as Mayor throughout the war years was involved in the War Saving Scheme, Civil Defence, the Royal British Legion, and the Green Howard’s Association. He held the office of President of Richmond Meet from 1940 to 1947, a record for the organization.

A Freeman of the Company of Mercers, Grocers and Haberdashers he was Warden in 1936. A long serving Freemason he was a Past Master of the Lennox Lodge of Freemasons in Richmond.

© Copyright of Alan M.Wilcox Richmond Town Clerk 1985-1997.