A Carved Oak Box Containing The Seals Of Richmond.
An oblong oak box the lid carved with the arms of Richmond in relief and the arms of the Company of Skinners and the Company of Glovers on either side. The interior is lined with white sycamore and green baize. The box was presented to the town council by John Blenkiron Snr. Esq., to mark his year as Warden of the Company of Fellmongers. He commissioned the box to be made by Phillip Bastow of Reeth who had been an apprentice in his employ, and a winner of the Fellmongers Prize.
THE COMMON SEAL
The wide short stem of wire-form and pierced with three holes. The matrix being the effigy of God, depicted as an old man holding a shroud, having the baby Christ crucified within a tabernacle, with on the Dexter side the arms of France and England quartered, and on the sinister side, the arms of the Earl’s of Richmond and the Dukes of Brittany and the gothic inscription, “SIGILLIUM COTE BURGENLIN VILLE RICHEMOND”. On the reverse are the gothic initials mM. This seal was dated by Mr Hunter-Blair as 1407 and is the oldest piece of silver in the town council’s possession.
THE LASCELES SEAL
A circular seal with a six-sided stem and a domed top. The stem being engraved, “This seal was geven to the towne of Richmond by Ser Thomas Lasceles Knight in the yeare of our lord 1603. He beinge the Alderman there”. The matrix having the crest of Richmond, the edge engraved, “ Sigillium Burgi Richmondii”. Thomas Lasceles was also the Priest of the Chapel of Trinity, now part of the building which houses the Green Howard’s Museum. Maker unknown.
THE CHARLES II SEAL
The navette shaped seal has a wide stem being pierced and partly pinned. When the pin is removed the rose crest parts from the rest of the seal. The matrix being the crest, coat of arms and motto of Richmond, engraved, “S.D. NIAD CAPERSO INFRA BURG RICHM CONCES TEMP WIL WETWANG”.
Made in 1668 by John Plummer of York.
This seal was created by the direct command of Charles II in his Royal Charter to the town of Richmond given under his hand in the year of Our Lord 1668. In his charter he states that a seal of two pieces shall be created, the greater part to be held by the Mayor, and the lesser part by the Town Clerk. The Town Clerk could not take up his office until approved by his Sovereign. It therefore, required the presence and agreement of Mayor and Clerk to pass the seal and ordinance in the town. Thus, in this charter did Charles II lay out the future governance of this town of Richmond.
© Copyright of Alan M.Wilcox Richmond Town Clerk 1985-1997.