Richmond Town Council was inaugurated after Local Government re-organization in 1974 and still holds its meetings in the Town Hall's Council Chamber, next to the main Assembly Room containing the old town court room, known as the Georgian Court Room. Richmond has a Town Mayor, a Town Clerk and a civic entourage of two sergeants-at-mace and two halberdiers. The Town Hall, built in 1756, is still the focal point of Richmond`s civic and social life, hosting a large number of events and meetings throughout the year.

The current Town Council consists of fifteen councillors, five from each of the three wards within the town boundary. Full council meetings take place monthly and are open to the public. The current composition of the council is Liberal Democrat - 5 councillors, Conservative - 3 councillors and Independent - 5 councillors.