A Gigarette Box

A plain oblong cedar wood lined cigarette box the lid inscribed "To W.W. Foster Esq from G.A. Roper with grateful thanks for services rendered during his two years as Mayor. 1924 and 1925".

Made in Birmingham in 1925 by Sanders & Mackenzie.

This cigarette box was returned to the Richmond Borough Corporation on the death of Mr. Foster in 1955.

At his own request it was to become part of the civic plate.

Copyright of Alan M.Wilcox Richmond Town Clerk 1985-1997.